In Search of a Better World

In Search of a Better World
Soul Searcher

Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Glimpse of Atyrau

It is now time to tell you a bit about where I am. Atyrau is a small town in Kazakhstan which was one of the states of the erstwhile USSR before it got independence in 1991. It has very cold winters and very hot summers. The coldest I have seen on this visit is MINUS 33 degrees centigrade.
I am a Madrasi whose definition of Cold used to be anything below PLUS 20 degrees centigrade. Now a minus 8 degrees is acceptable!

The Ural River flows through Atyrau and one side of the river is Asia while the other side of the river is Europe! A picture of the river is below;





In spring the roads are full of flowers and lovely to walk on. Atyrau has taught me the meaning of the four seasons. In Autumn the trees shed their leaves in preparation of the winter and once I saw the winter here I understodd why cold coutries have a fall or autumn!


And finally I learnt of a winter where the mighty Ural Freezes over and people walk across the river.



1 comment:

  1. I'm a weakling when it comes to cold weather. Anything cooler than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 degrees Celsius) is uncomfortable for me, though I do like to bundle up and take walks in the snow when given the opportunity. I just have to place a scarf across my mouth and nose so I don't breathe cold air!

    Kazakhstan was featured in the last season of the television show "Amazing Race". It looked like a beautiful and interesting place. I am happy for you that you are experiencing our globe and its many cultures.

    I've missed several of your posts from having your old URL in my Google Reader so I have some catching up to do. I had "stop following" and then "follow" again so I will see your posts now.

    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete